The Hideous Hybrid Menagerie is a curation of informational resources on all the things that inspired Sharkblog to begin with. The Menagerie is designed to be an ever-expanding hub, containing brief descriptions of mythical, fictional, and real shark-beasts whose very beings combine sharks with something non-sharky.
Please – if you notice something amiss, some shark monster not represented on this list that you would like to see included, please leave a comment or shoot me an email and I will work to correct the error as quickly as possible.
Film & Television:
- Dinoshark – Part shark, part dinosaur (most likely Tyrannosaurus Rex). Dinoshark was apparently frozen in ice for eons before the arctic glacier that had entrapped it melted away.
Dinoshark on IMDb
- Mega Shark (a.k.a. Megalodon) – Part shark, part Titan. It’s an ancient, previously-thought extinct jumbo shark that can pretty much destroy anything smaller than a battleship.
Megalodon on IMDb
Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus on IMDb
Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus on IMDb
- SharkMan (Hammerhead) – Part shark, part man. An insane scientist fuses his dying son’s DNA with shark DNA and accidentally turns him into a mutant hell-bent on destruction. Things go predictably badly.
SharkMan on IMDb
- Sharknado – A tornado made out of sharks.This could be the start of a powerful new hybrid genre: natural disasters + monsters.
- Sharktopus – Part shark, part octopus. The monster that sparked the original idea for Sharkblog. Commissioned as a weapon for the U.S. Navy, Sharktopus wreaks havoc when the scientists that created it lose control.
Sharktopus on IMDb
- Know of another movie or TV show left off the list? Let me know in the comments below.
- The Fax Machine Shark – Part shark, part fax machine. This ancient animal has been around since the time that fax machines were considered cool.
- Know of another book or graphic novel left off the list? Let me know in the comments below.
Mythology, Legend, & Folklore:
- Barry Manilodon – Part shark, part Barry Manilow. This massive, ancient sea monster is able to lull its prey to sleep through song.
- Bearsharktopus – Part shark, part octopus, part bear. There really is no scarier creature in the entire world than this fucking thing.
- Christopher Walken Rex – Not a shark hybrid, more of a dinosaur-Christopher Walken hybrid, but noteworthy nonetheless.
- Droidshark – Part shark, part Data from “Star Trek: The Next Generation.” Attacks Japan for reasons yet to be figured out.
- Eagleshark – Part shark, part bald eagle. Extremely ferocious and highly patriotic, this fierce beast can swim AND fly.
- HydraHeston – An ancient sea monster with seven different heads of Charlton Heston.
- Orsonsharktopus – Part shark, part octopus, part Orson Welles. This creature is the centerpiece of a four-part film series yet to be written by me. Extremely dangerous, extremely ornery.
- Shony – Part shark, part pony. Clearly straight-up magical, but also very real.
- Know of another mythical shark hybrid left off the list? Let me know in the comments below.